Saturday, February 15, 2014

Honoring Doug Schwarz

The Schwarz family with Doug in the middle

I was honored today to celebrate the Mass of Christian Burial for Doug Schwarz, a great family man, engineer who worked on our new church, a Scout leaders, an avid fisherman and a friend to many other parishioners. This is a brief section of the homily I shared today at Doug's funeral Mass.....
It has been a true blessing getting to know the Schwarz family over the last 4 months, and especially getting acquainted with Doug, and him getting to know me, as we of course were both premeditating the planning of this day. And having anointed him and gave him Communion a few times, it was a bigger moment of comfort seeing his family together (including Lupine their dog) as I did the committal prayer a few hours after he entered heaven. I said to myself, “What power and consolation faith has for those who believe! What incredible comfort they can receive from looking at the cross ! What joy they can experience knowing they have done everything they could to make Doug’s last few weeks as comfortable and as peace-filled as possible!”
As Blessed Mother Teresa used to say: “the ideal Christian does not do great things in life, but they do small simple things with a great heart, with lots of love.”  And this is what Doug will be remembered for – for doing the little things with a great heart. His epitaph could very well be this: “What I longed for, I now see; what I hoped for, I now possess; in heaven I am espoused to Him whom on earth I loved with all my heart.”  

Our family circle has been broken, a link gone from our chain;
But though we’re parted for a while, we know we’ll meet again.
Some day we hope to meet you, someday, we know not when;
We shall meet in a better land, and never part again.
We shall meet with many a loved one that was torn from our embrace.
We shall listen to their voices, and behold them face to face.
In God’s hands you rest above, in our heart you rest with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment